I can just see how the meeting for these went:
person 1- Ok, what book are teenage girls reading, and spending hundreds of millions of dollars on related tie in products these days?
person 2- Twilight.
person 1- Exactly. So how do we get some of that money without actually selling Twilight?
person 2- I'm not sure.
person 1- We re-brand classic novels with Twilight like covers to trick teen girls into reading them. Because if it looks like Twilight they will buy it.
person 2- Good idea. But what books will we use?
person 1- Well, Wuthering Heights, because it's Bella's favorite (we can even put that on the cover so they know they should read it!) Romeo and Juliet, and probably Pride and Prejudice.
person 2- but Pride and Prejudice is not a dark romance.
person 1- Doesn't matter. Just pot a black cover with something red on it and it will work.
Ok so the covers aren't that, bad on there own. But they are such a blatant rip on the Twilight theme it's sad. That is until you see the backs. They are covered with gothic stained glass windows. The back of Pride and Prejudice says "With all the forces of the world conspiring to keep Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet apart, how will fate manage to bring them together? It certainly won't be easy if they're fighting it every step of the way. But theirs is a love that was meant to be, despite all the odds agents them." Funny, I don't remember "all the forces of the world conspiring to keep" them apart. Maybe I read the wrong book.
These books have not had any trouble selling for hundreds of years before Twilight, and I don't think they need it now.



1 comment:
Wow! That's funny!
Post a Comment