Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

So I have this problem. I may have talked about in before. When I buy books, which I frequently do, and they are a part of a series of books, I must then buy all the other volumes in that series. Here is the problem. Say I started reading a trilogy the week that the third book comes out. No problem right? Wrong. So I get the first volume in paperback. Ok now I’ve read that so I get the second volume also in paperback. But now I’ve read that. The third book is brand new. It’s been out for five days. Here is my problem. If I buy the third book now it will be hardback. I like hardback, actually I prefer them. Makes a book feel more substantial and hold up far better to repeat re-readings, being kicked off the bed in the middle of the night, and being dragged around everywhere while I read it. The softcover versions usually become my "travel edition" reserved for vacations or traveling.

But the first two are in paperback.

They won’t match. They are a set. A continuation of the same story. They should match.
In the past when this happens (it has happened before, several times) I have actually gone back and bought the paperback editions in hardback. Because the set must match. It must also be complete. No missing volumes, skipped because I don’t particularly love them as much as the ones that came before (ahem New Moon ahem).

Now you may be asking yourself one of two three things:
1. "Why on earth am I even reading this?"
2. "Why would she think I care?" or
3. " Why don’t you just go to the library, where you spend so much time and money (possibly on late fees) and get it there for free, and wait and buy it in paperback?"
Here are your answers. I have absolutely no idea why you are reading this. You must be intolerably board. Perhaps you are sitting in a waiting room and have been there for over an hour and are now about ready to start pulling your hair out and getting sick from smelling that orange scented cleaning/deodorizing/odorizing/poison they pump in those places.
Secondly I don’t really think you care but you are still reading so from now on it’s your own fault if you become comatose. What are you doing reading this in a room that smells of orange scented cleaning/deodorizing/odorizing/poison anyway? That’s just asking for trouble.
Thirdly one would thing that getting it from the library would be the wise thing to do, but who ever said I was wise? Also there is a six month wait there and I needed it NOW! Seriously, if not sooner.

I bought the book. In hardback. So now the question becomes, do I buy the first two in hardback, I know the second volume is still readily available that way, or just get the third one in paperback next year? I’ll just have that one lonely hardcover copy sitting there looking so sad. Trust me books can look at you and they can do it sadly. Particlulary hardcover books, they are frequent martyrs. This is my dilemma. No it doesn’t matter in the grand, slightly grand, or even mundane scheme of things but there you have it. My obsession with books that match.
Oh in case you care this is the book that started this rant. It’s really good, if you like demons, vampires, werewolves, fairies, battles between good and evil, and teenage angst filled love. Which I do. So much so I read over 1490 pages in three books of it in one weekend. I have no life.
xoxo-s

1 comment:

Dawn said...

This is what you do...you buy every book in both hardcover and paperback and decide which set you want less. You then give that set to your nice friend Dawn who also loves to read, but doesn't have much time right now between Kyler, Eric, school, preschool, and activity days. She will soon graduate and hopefully have more time on her hands to read something other than material related to special ed. And that's what you should do :)