a form of stately and elaborate lyrical verse" but "Ode to a Chair" sounds much better then, say, "A Post About Chairs", or "Blogging About The Chair", although maybe I should include the word humble, because if anything can be described as humble it is most defiantly the chair. I mean how often do you sitting one and not even think about how much design and engineering went in to it. You are more then likely sitting in one right now and did not even give it a second thought. Just think, if it were not for that chair you would be sitting on the cold, hard ground right now. And there are probably bugs on the ground to. Gross. So from now on this post is called "Ode to the Humble Chair".
Any way back to the point at hand. During the course of my education in Interior Design I am required to take a class entitled Contemporary Furnishings.( I also had to take Historical Furnishings, which almost killed me, and we learned about plenty of chairs there too, historical ones like the sedia, and the klismos {which I’m supposed to remember, I mean we spent like two weeks on it, but I still had to look it up because, oops, I forgot what it was called} but it was not devoted entirely to chairs). The first day in class our teacher explained the class thusley: If you can design a functional chair, you can design anything. (She then proceeded to tell us we would be required to write a report on all the 100 or so designers we would be studying, find a photo of there most famous chair , and draw a rendering of it, then, at the end of the term, we would be required to design a build a chair of our own.) But thourgh that class I have gained a new respect for chairs. Many of the greatest architects designed chairs, and quite a few of them found it to be far more challenging then designing full fledged buildings. Here are some of my favorites:
Originally this post was just going to be about the Barcelona Chair, but clearly I got carried away. I absolutely adore the Barcelona Chair, by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Always have, always will. Some day I will own one. In white. Like this one. I love the shape and the tufting, and I think they are really comfortable. Plus they just look really cool.
The Ghost Chair 
I love Philippe Starck’s Ghost Chair. Goes with everything combination of a classic side chair and cool see through plastic. It also comes in fun colors. It’s gonna be a classic, watch.

I love Philippe Starck’s Ghost Chair. Goes with everything combination of a classic side chair and cool see through plastic. It also comes in fun colors. It’s gonna be a classic, watch.
This chair give the weirdest sensation when you sit in it, it’s like you are floating, but completely stationary. It’s intense.
XOXO, S


1 comment:
Sarah! You have a blog! Hooray! I know it's been a lifetime, but I had to say hello AND I absolutely love this post because my in-laws have their entire house furnished with Eames, ghost chairs... and lately I've been obsessed. Anyway, keep blogging. I have one too...
http://tayandtalturner.blogspot.com
Love Tally
Post a Comment