
The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman
Ok so in the past I have not been particularly kind to Gaiman when telling people what I thought about his work. I love his concepts, hate the execution of them. So somewhat hesitantly I picked The Graveyard Book up from the library (I was not about to spend money on another book that I was expecting to hate). Side tangent, the library is the greatest place on earth. Free books, movies and CD’s, its awesome. Back off that tangent. Lately I have been quite into ghost stories. Not being scared, I hate being scared. Just good ghost stories. I watch a lot of Supernatural lately.
The Graveyard Book is the story of Nobody Owens, Bod for short, a young boy who’s family was killed and who now lives in a graveyard. His new parents are ghosts, his friends are ghosts, his guardian, Silas, is, well we don’t find out what he really is until the very end but he is not human.
Here are some of the things I like about this book. Ghosts. Almost everyone in the book is a ghost. Not the evil haunting kind of ghost, just people who are dead. Miss Lupescu At one point in the book Bod is being taught by a Miss Lupescu, who Silas has brought in to look after him and bring him food while he is away. She asks him what different kinds of people there are. Bod responds that there are the living, the dead, and ...cats? Unfortunately this is the wrong answer but it is still just great.
Later in the book Silas and Miss Lupescu along with a mummy carrying a pig, are in a somewhat dangerous situation. One of there comrades has already fallen when the mummy states that the pig is lucky. (I’m paraphrasing here) "Why would the pig be lucky", they ask. "Did the other guy have a pig?" The mummy asks. "No" they respond "See, the pig is lucky". Love that reasoning.
Each of the chapters are set up almost as individual short stories so it is easy to read a chapter a day with out forgetting the storyline.
by Neil Gaiman
Ok so in the past I have not been particularly kind to Gaiman when telling people what I thought about his work. I love his concepts, hate the execution of them. So somewhat hesitantly I picked The Graveyard Book up from the library (I was not about to spend money on another book that I was expecting to hate). Side tangent, the library is the greatest place on earth. Free books, movies and CD’s, its awesome. Back off that tangent. Lately I have been quite into ghost stories. Not being scared, I hate being scared. Just good ghost stories. I watch a lot of Supernatural lately.
The Graveyard Book is the story of Nobody Owens, Bod for short, a young boy who’s family was killed and who now lives in a graveyard. His new parents are ghosts, his friends are ghosts, his guardian, Silas, is, well we don’t find out what he really is until the very end but he is not human.
Here are some of the things I like about this book. Ghosts. Almost everyone in the book is a ghost. Not the evil haunting kind of ghost, just people who are dead. Miss Lupescu At one point in the book Bod is being taught by a Miss Lupescu, who Silas has brought in to look after him and bring him food while he is away. She asks him what different kinds of people there are. Bod responds that there are the living, the dead, and ...cats? Unfortunately this is the wrong answer but it is still just great.
Later in the book Silas and Miss Lupescu along with a mummy carrying a pig, are in a somewhat dangerous situation. One of there comrades has already fallen when the mummy states that the pig is lucky. (I’m paraphrasing here) "Why would the pig be lucky", they ask. "Did the other guy have a pig?" The mummy asks. "No" they respond "See, the pig is lucky". Love that reasoning.
Each of the chapters are set up almost as individual short stories so it is easy to read a chapter a day with out forgetting the storyline.
xoxo~s
No comments:
Post a Comment